martes, 20 de marzo de 2012

21 / SIR ALGERNON PARSLEY


Sir Algernon Parsley, well known in learned circles for his valiant contributions to postmodern semiotic epistemology, after having worked on his acclaimed but controversial essay Towards the profound roots of ancient Celtic hermeneutic, was charged by  EUPHORIA (European Union’s Popular and Historical Operation for Reeducation of Identity Agency) to undertake  anthropological research in order to uncover the core of semantic intercultural symbols where, possibly, the European idiosyncrasy may be found. Parsley worked on this ambitious project assiduously, devoutly, compulsively. A good example of this execution (in more than one sense) is the English adaptation of the famous Rafael de León’s Ojos verdes.

On the bawdyhouse’s doorjamb she leant,
Gazing at the opening of the night of May
Men passed by and she smiled at them
Till I stopped my horse at her doorway

Honey, give me a light and I'll give you this flower” 
"Come and take it, so my lips will give you fire"
I dismounted to glance closer at her face 
and those eyes, to me, were bright stars of May

 Those green eyes, green as basil is green
 Green as green wheat, green as lemon is
Those Green eyes, green with dagger's light 
They are deeply stuck in my very heart
To me, there are no more suns, no moon nor stars,
It’s only those eyes that make me feel alive
Those green eyes, green as basil is green

We saw the morning breaking from the room
The Vela Tower announced the dawn
You left my arms in the clear daybreak
And in my mouth, your cinnamon and mint taste

“Honey, I want to give you money for a new dress”
“You’ve done your bit for me, I need no more”
So, I went away fast as the wind, riding my horse
And, never after, have I lived such a beautiful night

Wonderful version in this magic copla-flamenco- jazzy way by Miguel Poveda.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario